Saturday, November 7, 2009

Company is coming!

It's a new day in Boca, the sun is rising, the fishermen/people are fishing, and we are getting ready for company!




Hurray! Company is coming!

My friends from college: Mary, Netto and Sheila.  We met each other in 1972 on the first day of our freshman year at good ol' Siwash: Knox College.
We lived in a big old haunted building built in 1857 called Whiting Hall .
On the 4th floor, which was the top floor. I cannot begin to tell you all the opportunities living on the fourth floor presented!
These were  the days when BOYS were only allowed on the floor at certain hours and with notice----by yelling "MAN ON FLOOR"!!!!! Always an interesting event. All the girls would loiter nonchalantly  around their rooms, waiting to see whoooooo or what would come up those stairs.
Actually, no outsiders were allowed upstairs without going through the Front Desk. The Front Desk would call up on a hundred year old intercom: Sheila, you have a Visitor (this means a girl visitor), OR--- Sheila, you have a Caller (ooooh, a BOY Visitor!!!!)
Another really diverting activity took place in Sheila and Mary's room. They did have another roommate for a while, but  they ran her off...  Cindy. She was replaced by Carolyn, like Mary, from beautiful Quincy , IL.  (known as the murder capital of the state at that time.)  I'm not sure whether Carolyn really went to school during our freshman year, or just hung out in the room.
Their room was directly above the Grand Entrance to Whiting Hall. This is where BOYS would drop their dates off  "after hours" (Maybe like nine o'clock? ). We would watch every kind of awkwardness unfold.... Sometimes we would drop things on these unsuspecting victims-- water balloons, jujubees... you know, that kind of stuff.
There was no way to keep us off the roof in nice weather. We were fairly ingenious and could remove any window and any screen. Lord, I am glad we all were fairly co-ordinated and never fell off. Otherwise I'd be telling a different story.
The roof usually included candy, black slips and lots of heckling.  Sometimes we would blast  "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" by Bette Midler, and dance....Oh, what fun.... If we were feeling sedate, it was "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues.

The last time Mary Sheila, Netto and I got together was in Milwaukee. Mary got to bottle beer, just like Laverne and Shirley:


Sheila, Netto and I took a rest.

2 comments:

  1. Cranky Aunt ConnopauseNovember 7, 2009 at 12:21 PM

    HEY OLD LADY.....whose Blog is this????

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I have very similar memories from good old SRSC, Slippery Rock State College in PA. Thanks for bringing those old memories back, I think!

    ReplyDelete