Sunday, May 12, 2013

Eagles Under Construction

Well, it seems that the eagles have left for the season. The last time I saw eaglet was 10 days ago. I saw dad getting chased into the lookout tree by the ospreys last Monday and Tuesday evening.  And then, Tuesday night,  the ospreys made a point of just skimming the treetops in the exact spot where the eagles would sit while baby was in the nest, as if they were SHOWING the world that they could...kind of like the sibling in the back seat who pokes the other one, just to prove that they can.
Word from the worksite is that no eagles have been seen for many days.... the eagles across the bridge are rumored to go to North Carolina for the summer, so maybe ours head up that way.
The parents worked so hard on their nest that I feel that they must be coming back next year, as long as the summer storms don't destroy the tree or the nest itself. ( Oh, and then we have those pesky ospreys who want to occupy that nest more than anything else in life). I understand that our local eagles will typically return sometime in November.
 I am going to put together an "Eaglet In Review" in the next couple of days, just to revisit this amazing journey that I was so privileged to witness. What a true honor this has been.

1 comment:

  1. we have loved seeing your pictures, Kathy. hope the Eagles on 1 Osprey Lane return next year and do it again.

    ReplyDelete